Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Shifting Power Structures

Anyone see something wrong with this picture? China Manufacturing Expands I think maybe in the midst of a world wide recession the shift of economic power is becoming all too obvious. Foreign interests own our assets, and the trade deficit is climbing. I have been looking for the total number of green card workers in the country now, and can't find a solid figure, although about 40,000 - 60,000 are granted each year. Nothing wrong with immigrant labor, as long as unemployment is reasonably low. My beef is with companies who now import skilled labor to avoid paying decent wages. Anhauser-Busch is one of them, who brings in thousands of Indian nationals to staff their IT department, but of course now they are foreign owned as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen sistah! I too am wary of the reports I hear on NPR that say corporations have to import skilled labor because there aren't enough qualified "US" workers. It would be nice to hear "them" honestly say the major factor is the bottom line. I am seeing this happen at my company: people who have worked for years in IT are being laid-off whilst off-shore contractors are being hired.