Thursday, November 20, 2008

Where's Vicki?

Ok - I'm sorry to say that between traveling, moving and a rotten cold, I've been slack on the electronic front. Even email has been a bit much to keep up with, but it's manageable as long as I remember not to stay on the phone all day.

I'm in St. Louis this week, and back here for Thanksgiving with the kids. In October I spent about 10 days here, and about that much in Charlotte. Then I returned to Atlanta to pack all my things into storage and hit the road jack. I felt I needed to be in "the Lou" to find work here, and still hope to make it to Charlotte to visit before the end of the year. (But no promises.)

Background: I've been looking in several cities for a great position, which determines where we'd move to. Might have found it!

It looks like a move to St. Louis is probable, tho the company is in Atlanta. I hope to get a position ironed out in the next few weeks with a vendor there, doing what I've "groomed" myself for, electronic discovery, sometimes onsite, and lots of remote dial in. It's a great field, but hopefully this time on different terms!

The possibilities of being in Charlotte aren't gone, but I won't be based there. I will likely be traveling there for projects/consulting and also to south Florida, New Jersey, etc. Not moving to Charlotte makes me sad, but I feel really good about being in St. Louis where the big kids and I have such great friends and I have a good support network. No surprise that the kids come first.

I hope I'm finding a sweet spot in my career, where I can work, be independent, take care of Gwyneth and the kids, pay the bills, and also start up something here in St. Louis for homeless teens, an issue very important to me. Please send prayers for all of this to work out if it's the best move for us. It's not a done deal! (yikes)

Homeless Teens

It's really cold here, and while there are homeless services, none that I know of cater to the teens, who are often too young to be allowed into adult shelters. They are so vulnerable on the streets, to crime, to exploitation, to drugs and just sheer exposure. Please think of them this year when you consider holiday donations - Stand Up for Kids is a great organization helping homeless teens all over the country.

If you don't give to Stand Up, please give to another local homeless support organization! While many struggle during these hard times, there are few more vulnerable than the homeless in our country. They are old and young, medically and sometimes mentally challenged. They deserve basic food, shelter and medical care. And yet they are often the most maligned in our society.

Prayer Requests

I have two very close friends who are going thru tremendous health problems right now.

Cindy in Charlotte is having CFIDS challenges, and they suspect it may be a serious mito-chondrial neuromuscular disorder. She's been feeling lousy for many years, then downright sick (like the flu, for about 20 years) but got really sick almost two years ago with seizures. They look like epilepsy and leave her exhausted. Luckily she is able to give herself IV treatments at home every day, and has help. But it's so overwhelming. She has three great kids, two grown, and a wonderful husband, but your prayers will mean a lot. They just got a lab report back yesterday confirming the genetic disorder and now know her daughter could be at risk. Please keep Cindy and her family in your prayers as they go through determining new treatment options, and how to cope with the degenerative disease.

Another great dear friend, Anne, in St. Louis is going thru brain cancer treatment. She is a single mother of a wonderful guy, Greg, 12. It's lovely that she has a great support system here, and yet, at less than 40 it really isn't right that she has to do aggressive chemo and radiation. The next 6 weeks, (she's in week 2) will be tough. Thank goodness she has been working hard at staying in shape, since a heart attack about 10 years ago. Earlier this year she had to have a defibrillator put in for her heart. Now this cancer. Please keep her in your prayers. She's a fighter, but more than anything believes that prayers sustain her.

You who have know me long know I don't make friends lightly. These are two of the finest women I know. But while you are at it, say prayers for all those who are uncertain about their jobs, are struggling with health issues, or have other challenges. Be kind, we all are fighting battles unseen.

That's all I can muster today - more on Halloween, the election and aftermath later. Fascinating times we live in! :)
love wildly,
v

No comments: